|The Nossiter Net
The net that shall enmesh them all
Edited, Written, and Published by Josh Nossiter
|Ten Reasons to Vote for Hillary
Friday, March 7th, 2008
|The Nossiter Net is cast to snare some of the riper rascalities of the day. Comments? Send a letter to the editor.|
|1. She’s right. With her president husband’s political back to the wall, under attack from Republicans, the media, and Joe Lieberman, with the nation’s more enlightened voters nauseated by the unfolding catastrophe and desperate for a devastating Clinton administration counter-punch, Hillary came up with the memorable “vast right-wing conspiracy” complaint. Far from defusing the crisis, the remark drew nothing but scorn and ridicule from the Clinton attackers. Subsequent events proved her to have been perfectly correct. If the revelations of David Brock came far too late to save the nation from eight years of George W. Bush, we can hardly blame Hillary for being prescient.
2. She’s tough. Although she’s never served in combat herself, she demonstrated a perfect willingness to send others to be killed and maimed when she voted to authorize Bush’s invasion of Iraq.
3. She’s effective. Handed the task of reforming the nation’s health care system, her first real job in government, Hillary adopted a strategy that might have been scripted for her by those who had the biggest stake in retaining the status quo. Thanks to her efforts the status quo was indeed retained. Big insurance and big pharma profited hugely and tens of millions of Americans still have no health care.
4. She’s patriotic. She never met a military appropriation she wouldn’t vote for. She voted to outlaw the burning of the American flag.
5. She’s savvy. Her biggest single financial backer is Goldman Sachs, and what’s good for Goldman is good for the rest of us. Isn’t it?
6. She’s eloquent. As Edward R. Murrow said of Winston Churchill, Hillary mobilizes words and sends them marching off to war. “Change you can Xerox” and “How come I always get the first question” are among the devastating verbal arrows she’s fired during the campaign, rousing oratory as good as anything Winnie ever came up with. Compare with his “we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender…” Should we ever face a true crisis, Hillary can be counted on to rally the nation behind her.
7. She’s forthright. Hillary always takes a clear stand on every issue and never waffles. Her current stance on NAFTA simply demonstrates that she was against it after she was for it. Likewise her views on the Iraq war.
8. She’s transparent. Hillary will release her tax returns. To avoid any possible distractions during the current campaign, she’ll wait until after she is nominated.
9. She’s bi-partisan. Rush Limbaugh wants you to vote for her.
10. She’s seasoned. As first lady of both Arkansas and the United States, she sat through thousands of political breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Salt and pepper were present at practically all of them. How’s that for seasoning?
* * * * *
A NOTE TO READERS
There was nothing new at The Nossiter Net between March 3rd and April 26th, 2007, nearly eight weeks. The reason: tech sabotage. Yahoo Geocities, the host for this site, denied access for the entire period. At one point, they even managed to lose all the files. In many discussions with Yahoo staff, no clear explanation was forthcoming. No one seemed able to fix the problem. Ruling out the possibility of Dubbya’s revenge, I finally wrote to Mr. Terry Semel, Chairman and CEO of Yahoo! Inc and described the ordeal the page had undergone since the beginning of March. A week later, a helpful Yahooo engineer named Jason called. He had my letter before him. Though he couldn’t do the repairs on on the spot, he promised a fix by the next day. That was April 26th, nearly two months after shutting me down in the first place.
The Nossiter Net apologizes, which is more than I can say for Yahoo Geocities.
©Joshua C. Nossiter, 2008
|The Instant Poet|
|What's The Matter With Ohio?|
|The Faint Gap|
|First Refuge of An Imbecile|
|A Hill Not Worth Climbing|
|Keeping America Safe|
|Friendless In Gaza|
|Now a Member of the Worldwide Communities of Blogs at Blogwise.com|
|VOL. IV, No. 12|